Minor Injury

Find the closest Minor Injury Unit

Urgent treatment centres are a facility you can go to if you need urgent medical attention, but it's not a life-threatening situation.

At the moment, the NHS offers a mix of walk-in centres, urgent care centres, minor injury units and urgent treatment centres, all with different levels of service.

By Autumn 2020, these will either be called urgent treatment centres or change to offer other primary health care services.

Urgent treatment centres aim to offer a more consistent service wherever you are in the country.

They're GP-led and open for at least 12 hours a day every day of the week (including bank holidays).

They're equipped to diagnose and treat many of the most common ailments people go to A&E for.

You may be referred to an urgent treatment centre by NHS 111 or by a GP. You can also just turn up and walk in.

Conditions that can be treated at an urgent treatment centre include:

  • sprains and strains
  • suspected broken limbs
  • minor head injuries
  • cuts and grazes
  • bites and stings
  • minor scalds and burns
  • ear and throat infections
  • skin infections and rashes
  • eye problems
  • coughs and colds
  • feverish illness in adults
  • feverish illness in children
  • abdominal pain
  • vomiting and diarrhoea
  • emergency contraception

Find the closest minor injury service near you at NHS inform

MIA service

If you have a minor injury you can now use the NHS Call MIA service and be given a minor injury assessment by video call in your own home.

Please call 07977 246848 where you will be offered an appointment for a private and secure video call assessment with a specialist Nurse Practitioner. The call is both private and confidential and will never be recorded.

At the time of your appointment, simply click on the link provided which opens a live chat with one of the team.

The team will then assess your injury and provide advice and treatment within a matter of minutes.

If the specialist decides they need to treat the injury, they will ask you to attend your nearest minor injuries clinic and you will be given a set appointment time, depending on the severity.

If you have an injury you can undergo a full consultation, with Call MIA and either be given advice on self care, an urgent appointment or a consultation time for the following day.